twitter
    Find out what we are up to? Follow Us on Twitter

Trying To Find My Way… One Basket at a Time


Growing up in the Bronx, you have to have a passion for something, just to get you by. My passion is sports. Although I don’t discriminate, I’m not picky. But my all time favorite is basketball.

Starting at the young tender age of 5, my big brother introduced me to one of the greatest players in the game, Michael Jordan. From there my unique love for basketball was off to a start.

Mikey to me, Mike to my family, and Murda to his friends, my brother showed me the ropes of the game.

I remember lying down on my bed patently waiting for him to set up the new basketball court my aunt had just bought us.

My brother placed the hoop at the rim of the door. I was too small to shoot, so he placed it at just the right angle for me to get on our bed and try to dunk. I wanted to imitate what I saw Michael “Air” Jordan doing to Larry “Legend” Bird in the 1989 championship game.

As the years went by I involved myself in other sports but I always came back to my true love… BASKETBALL.

I remember watching Michael Jordan and learning from his skills as I mastered my own on the basketball court. It made me a better basketball player over the years.

Now in high school, the same way Jordan used to break ankles on the court, I can now do the same thing… I just can’t dunk though.

I still remember the classic finish during the Chicago Bulls championship game against the Utah Jazz. It was the 1998 finals and Jordan finished the game in his classic fashion, finishing it of with his signature buzzer beater. It was moments like that which made me want to play the game and escape the streets in the moment.

Honestly, I really can’t get on the band wagon and preach and talk about what if I didn’t play ball or get into other sports… or even stay in school.

Because at times I’m living a double life.

Yes, I’m in a gang. I rep my set to the fullest all day, the Piru gang.

I own weapons and I will beat someone’s ass in a split second.

But when it comes down to being in school, playing sports or doing something I love period, I put being a G, a thug or whatever you decide to classify it as to the side. And I’m just straight me, Mel 23.

I walk a thin ass line of being me and as a teenager now, I’m not ready to change. I will change when I’m ready.

And when I do “NO,” it won’t be too late; it will be just the right time.

Making it out of the hood won’t make me leave it all behind. I’m going to always rep my set, even when I’m in the nursing home... you know what I’m saying.

And one day, I’m going to live my life through my kid’s eyes and just push them in the right direction.

But for now, I’m just gonna continue to be me… Mel 23

- Written by Mel

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lmno Mel your work is up there keep it up...

Post a Comment