twitter
    Find out what we are up to? Follow Us on Twitter

Parents Just Don’t Understand


Do you really want to know why kids are so disrespectful to their parents?

Well from one teenager to another I’ll tell you. And for all you adults reading this, I don’t want you to think I’m choosing sides, just because I’m a teen. It’s not like that.

I’m just using my words to educate you adults about why we behave the way we do.

All kids really want to do is have a good time and ignore the rules. Sorry I don’t even like the use of the word kids, it’s such a weak word. We’re teenagers, if anything you should refer to us as young adults, but definitely stop calling us kids.

As young adults all we really want to do is have fun and ignore all of your rules. You have far too many of them, and most of the time they all tend to do one thing. Shield us from the world that we’ll eventually have to learn how to survive in.

Rule number one: You either get a curfew or you can’t go out at all…

Rule number two: You can’t go to a party unless an adult is there… or you can’t go…

Rule number three: If you want to go out you have to ask me a week ahead of time or you can’t go…

Rule number four: If they don’t like a friend of yours they’ll tell you to stop hanging out with them. In other words, you can’t go…

Do you see a recurring theme here?

I do… and it’s the word, “Can’t!”

Rule number five: You have to earn what you want. And if you still can’t get it, go out and get a job.

Rule number six: If you mess up in school, your phone or anything you deeply love will be taken away.

Our parents always want to know what’s going on in our lives.

Parents at times can be way too strict and we young adults don’t really appreciate that. The stricter our parents are, the more we’ll rebel. It’s our reaction to your action. And our reaction leaves us with the need to do something with all of the energy we have in our bodies. Energy we can’t even let out because our parents don’t think anything we do is safe.

Take me as an example. I like to have fun, and all my mother ever does is keep me locked up in the house. So all I feel like doing is escaping. And the first time I had my chance to escape I did…

So one night I got my shot at freedom. I got to go to my first party and even though this was my first party it didn’t mean I couldn’t dance. Cause I got my skills from playing hooky.

I went to this party and there was a lot of liquor and I was thinking in my head, “How does it taste,” since I didn’t drink at that time. So I drank my first beer which was a Corona it tasted type good so I kept going. Then I drank Hypnotic and oh man that was good. I thought it was going to be the last time I was ever going to go to a party, and as a result I just kept drinking.

The only reason I didn’t get caught was because I stayed overnight at my friends house. Her mother was really cool. My friend didn’t even drink or anything, she had chances to do it but she wasn’t raised that way, so she just never did it. In a way I respected her. She got almost everything she wanted and needed and the cool thing was that she had both of her parents in her life. And they were both cool.

If my mother wasn’t so strict with me I think I would’ve turned out to be a good girl going to school all the time. I might’ve even been in some after school activities.

But whenever I had time to hang out I would’ve been hanging out with my friends. But my mother always thinks it’s too dangerous for me to hangout outside.

In real life parents spend a lot of time trying to find out the truth, thinking we’re always hiding something. But they can’t, because deep down inside they’re always hiding something themselves. Maybe if they spent all that time communicating with us, we wouldn’t always feel like we have to hide things from them.

I’m not saying all parents are like this, but there’s a chance most are. If you put your children on lock it’s just going to make matters worse for you and you’re teen.

All I’m trying to say is that you should listen to you children more. The more you listen, the more you just might learn something from them.

Remember, “WE are the future!”

- Written by Darlene

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the hello kitty picture is cute it fits you well lmno.... you have potentiol to write more... lets see what you have in you...

Post a Comment