twitter
    Find out what we are up to? Follow Us on Twitter

First Stop…


Would you ever think that someone from the streets or the so called “Hood” would ever come back to a place that seems so bad to so many?

A place that to outsiders seems like a jungle, a place not even worth saving.

Why would anyone want to come back into a community like this to try to save it from itself?

For a lot of people the “hood” is an out of control place with no peace of mind. But they don’t see what’s behind all the words in the media of death. And actions caused for many different reasons, never just because.

I can’t sit here and tell you that the hood or the streets is all colorful and full of joy, because I would be a hypocrite. But it’s not always as bad as it seems to the outside world. It’s also a place full of people who respect one another and also consider each other family because they’re almost always together and have each others back… no matter what.

To some teens “the street’s is a marriage that you just can’t divorce.”

Yet who made that commitment?

There are some teens that choose to do what they want to, just because they think it makes them popular. But most teens do what they have to do just to survive.

To people it’s easier said than done, and also actions speak louder than words. Words are like the wind easy come and easy go. Words can mean so much and do so little and yet people are easily fooled into believing the hype.

In my case, the hype meant keeping my word and never backing down.

As a young girl I felt that when they dared me to do something I had to do it no matter what it was. And no matter what it was, I did it.

And one day it came to the point when they dared me to do something that led to me getting in a lot of trouble. Luckily for me, my sister was by my side and didn’t leave me to take the blame.

It’s not easy always having to live up to someone’s image of you, therefore you shouldn’t make one that’s going to lead you down the wrong path.

It’s always good to stay yourself and don’t let anyone make you a different person.

When I first met Ivan Sanchez it was in a workshop in the Next Generation Center and he was talking about his book and how he was doing a job track for us to get paid for writing and having our voices heard in society.

After I was done with my 4 week training program I was anxious to start working with Ivan. As days passed by I became more interested and more serious about the track. Not only because I was getting paid for it, but because I enjoy to write. I also felt it was a good opportunity to expand my writing and to learn at least a bit about the limelight of being an author.

I wanted to learn more about him so I sat down for an interview with him and here is what I learned.

Why did you come back to the South Bronx to try and help the youth knowing how difficult it’s going to be?

I always felt like the Bronx was my home. After finding my own level of success I realized that a lot of times we never look back at the people, places, and things that made us who we are. I realized that the violence in the South Bronx was picking up again and it reminded me of the close to 20 friends I lost on the streets when I was growing up. So I felt the overwhelming need to come back and try to make a difference.

How did you hear of the next generation center and why did you choose to start this program?

I heard of the next generation center through a friend, specifically the 2 teens Justin and William that passed away earlier this year with no media attention whatsoever. I felt that this would be the perfect place to start educating the teens about the power of their voice and the power of their words.

What would you consider a success in this program?

I consider a success when most of the teens begin to share their pain and struggles with the rest of the world through their writings. I consider a success when they find their voice and understand their own self worth. I also hope that their words will educate the educators, the law makers and the politicians so that we can search for better solutions to the problems our teens face on a daily basis.

How do you feel working, spending, and sharing your experience with the young youth of today’s community?

Basically this is food for my soul. This isn’t something I woke up one day and decided this was something I wanted to do. This was something I was chosen to do and I take that calling very seriously. Every time a teenager tells me “I helped them, chang the way they look at themselves or their environment.” I feel like I’m succeeding at my goal which is to undo the years of brain washing we've all been subject to.

I think that this program/ job track will make a positive impact to others. And also to my life because this tells a lot about a person because of the way they express themselves.

This helps people take out the way they feel on a computer, tape recorder or even on a piece of paper.

We as a group are called “The Unwritten Life” because people from the media don’t seem to care about what does and what does not happen to us.

This program gives us the chance to speak out for what we believe and feel is right. It gives us the opportunity to share our life time secrets and stories.

This is my Next Stop

- Written by Cathey

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes i think thid is a nice piece i would like to read more from you

Post a Comment